Friday 27 September 2013

I like them 80s movies.

So this year I've fallen in love with everything to do with old movies - especially 80s and 90s movies.

I love the naïveté of the characters and the simplicity of the times in the high school movies compared to teenhood today. It just really and truly makes me happy. Before you jump ahead - no I do not wish I was a teen in the 80s, truly. I'm pretty sure I was born in the right era because I can't imagine being a teen without internet. 

So I thought I'd just give you a list of my favourite golden oldies that I will never get tired of, it's not quite a top ten but it's close. 

This movie is one of my all time favs and I will never get tired of - don't you wish that you could go to detention and come out with new friends and a boyfriend? 

Yes, yes it's not an 80s movie but it's still an oldie and a classic. I first watched this movie whilst on exchange and I recently rewatched it and loved it all over again - how can you not love her poem in the end and of course Heath Ledger? 

One of the cutest love stories there is. If you didn't feel utter joy when they could do the lift in the end then there is a problem. 

I didn't enjoy this one as much as the others but it's still one of my favourite oldies. It follows the story of a girl on her sixteenth birthday where her family has forgotten about her birthday and even worse the boy she has a crush on doesn't know she exists - imagine how horrible that must be.


5. Footloose 
Now before you say that you've watched this one you better not be talking about the 21st century remake. The original version is much much better - surprise surprise. I find it more sincere and believable and it just suits the time better having it set in that decade (the 80s) rather then today. 

I forgot how sad and heartwarming this movie was until I rewatched it recently. The movie follows the lives of boarding school boys whose lives are changed by a new English teacher. It is such a well-written story about following your passion and not following convention and tradition for the sake of it.


7. Pretty in Pink
This is one of those really bad 80s movies you can't help but love and find entertaining. Another Molly Ringwald movie where Andie finds herself in a bit of a love triangle and she has to choose between a sweet rich boy and a childhood friend.

8. Some Kind of Wonderful
I found this movie to be very similar to Pretty in Pink but the gender roles are reversed where Keith asks out a popular girl unbeknown to him that his tomboy best friend has a huge crush on him. If I had to choose my favourite between Pretty in Pink and this one - Some Kind of Wonderful would get my vote because I found it cuter and my heart melted more at the end of this one than at the end of Pretty in Pink, that's a very good indication right?
That's my list - it's not a very long list but out of all the 80s movies I've watched so far, these are my fav. It's a lot of John Hughes and quite the Molly Ringwald overload. 
Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. What are your favourite golden oldies? xx

5 comments:

  1. 10 things I hate about you! Good old days!

    Monica
    Harmony's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. nancy @ adore to adorn2 October 2013 at 02:46

    omg these are such classics. I love the memories I have for each film! You're right...the characters have a semblance of being so naive compared to teenagers today, for the simple reason that their "problems" were not amplified the same way it is today for teenagers with internet. Although, the problems are still so similar. =)

    xo,
    nancy

    http://adoretoadorn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm way behind on my 80s movies! Can you believe I've never seen Dirty Dancing?

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! If you're starting anywhere, Dirty Dancing must be your first - it is truly the best! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...