Tuesday 30 July 2013

Tutu.

A while back I found a DIY article on Rookie on how to make a tutu. It didn't look that complicated and I've been itching to do a DIY project for a while. So I decided to give it a bash (LOL, how English of me next thing you know I'll be starting posts with top of the morning to you). 

So here's a simplifed version of how you do it and me being the organised person that I am - I didn't take any "during"/"process" photos so your imagination is important here. But I did capture some photos of me prancing around it, selfies etc. Usual tutu behaviour. 

Stuff to make tutu:

  • roughly 9m of 140cm wide tulle, depending on the amount of poof you want in your tutu. I opted for a harder sort of tulle almost like net. 
  • a piece of fabric about 13cm wide and the length of your waist, this acts as "skirt".
  • piece of ribbon - a little longer than your waist. 
  • scissors
  • measuring tape
  • sewing pins
  • needle and thread
The method was simply laying out the fabric on a flat surface. Then cutting even strips of the fabric and then folding each strip of fabric in half and looping it and tying it around your ribbon. I then hand sewed a piece of white fabric underneath the tutu which acted as a skirt. Please do check out the full article up on Rookie for more detailed explanations and methods.
I hope this inspired some of you to release your creative side. Trust me, it isn't that hard - if I can do it, you can (me who can barely sew a button, don't tell my mom that). I haven't really had a chance to frolic in it yet, waiting on that perfect summer's day. I really did enjoy making my tutu and have definitely caught the DIY-bug so I will be trying out more DIY things as I come across them on Pintrest. Stay stylish, lovelies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...